Mar 3, 2008

Change the Story

My friends and co-workers all know that I usually begin each day with my favorite espresso drink from Starbucks. I am not just an unapologetic, loyal fan of their coffee and the studiously crafted customer experience that goes with it; I am generally an enthusiast for their approach to marketing. So I am usually on the lookout for references to the company in my favorite blogs. Last week, marketing guru Seth Godin mentioned them in passing while offering his thoughts on marketing in a recession. His blog post stated:

"Starbucks was the indulgence of a confident person happy to blow $4 on a cup of coffee. Starbucks can become the small indulgence for the person who just traded down to a small rented apartment. The challenge for marketers is to figure out how to change the story they are living so that their customers can change the story they tell themselves."

Starbucks can navigate a downturn in the economy because they have become part of their customer's daily life. They can remain relevant because of the adaptability of their "story." Seth's observation prompts me to think about the "story" being told by most financial institutions these days. Do their stories have the flexibility to adjust to the conditions of the marketplace? Do they even know what their "story" is or whether it is relevant to their customer? What do you think?

No comments: