Mar 25, 2008

Have an idea for us?

After reading about the latest Starbucks training sessions where each of its stores were closed for a three hour training session a few weeks back, and hearing about some of the initiatives it will be launching to get back in touch with its customers, I've been looking for examples of these initiatives coming to life in my trips since to Starbucks stores.

The one idea I particularly like, called My Starbucks Idea (Netbanker has a great write-up of how this can tie into banking) is a website that allows customers to submit ideas and feedback about all things Starbucks. And while the initiative is web-based, I was interested to see an in-store display this morning on the table with the coffee creamers.

The display is a small (8.5X11) table top with a stack of tear-off, business-card sized pieces of paper attached to it. These pieces of paper simply read "Have an idea for us?" - and, I have to admit, it intrigued me. I tore it off, and turned it over, the back simply directs you to mystarbucksidea.com.

It's not a survey. There are no questions. It simply directs you to submit your ideas to the bank's microsite.

I can definitely see the opportunity for financial institutions to offer this kind of feedback loop to their customers - and could easily be placed at teller stations or on check-write tables. In Starbucks' case, because it's such a large company, having the comments directed to one central point is a great way to keep them organized.

It's such a simple way to keep the feedback loop open for customer dialogue.

No comments: